2.21.2012

It's Mardi Gras! : How to Make a Mini King Cake

                         Source: mozhanalexandra.tumblr.com via Carrie on Pinterest


Today is Mardi Gras! BAY BEH *in my New Orleans accent*

 ...and although Mardi Gras is celebrated in all kinds of ways (we usually would do a Pancake Supper with a side of Chicken and Dumplings),  in college it was fun to hang with those who were from the New Orleans area and learn their different traditions.

What I found out was that, during Mardi Gras, there would be King Cake.


Now, King Cake is a cake that is associated with the pre-lenten season. So apparently, (according to Wikipedia) there is a small plastic baby in the cake or placed under it that represents the Baby Jesus. So whomever gets the baby or trinket has various obligations or duties. So yea, if you get the trinket in the cake in the Gulf Coast, your supposedly obligated to provide the king cake for next year.

I don't know about you but, I don't see the benefit of getting the trinket- I would avoid the baby Jesus at all costs! :)

SO, if I were to get the trinket, I would definitely be looking for an easier way to make King Cake because baking is not my specialty just yet.  So in trolling for new recipes, I found this cute idea for mini King Cakes.

Traditionally, King Cake is a twisted brioche bread that resembles a cinnamon roll with icing and Mardi Gras colored sprinkles.

Well, Ma from Phar-ma Blog offered up this idea... since she has a toddler and a newborn at home she had to be creative on how to make things quickly. 

Here's how you do it:

Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll twisted into a circle


Pour on some icing 
then sprinkles... and WAH LAH! or ABRA CA DABRA!
and you have mini King Cakes fit for little mouths with little time. 

Happy Mardi Gras!


Did you try this? or some other sweet treat for Mardi Gras? Let me know!


All photos courtesy of Phar-ma.com and Wikipedia File Photo.

Photobucket

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I love to respond to you via email so make sure that you're not set to no-reply. Otherwise, check back here- I will try to reply as soon as I can. Trust me, I read them all. Thanks again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...